It is estimated that 14 million Americans have rosacea. What is this skin disorder and what are some rosacea symptoms?
Rosacea is the inflammation of the small blood vessels in the capillaries of the face. Symptoms can include:
- Small solid bumps (sometimes inflamed).
- Redness on the checks, nose, chin or forehead.
- Small visible blood vessels on the face.
- Watery or irritated eyes.
Rosacea symptoms usually appear between the ages of thirty and fifty. There is no proven cause for rosacea. Early signs may come and go unexpectedly, but over time the redness becomes ruddier and more permanent if left untreated. The skin of rosacea sufferers is usually very sensitive and easily irritated. A good rule of thumb is to select non-irritating skin care products that are super mild and free from harsh chemicals.
Natural botanical oils may lessen the symptoms.
- Chamomile oil relieves inflammation and soothes the skin.
- Rose hip oil is high in essential fatty acid which helps to maintain healthy cellular membranes.
- Jojoba oil is non-irritating and keeps your skin moist.
Look for products with these natural ingredients to soothe rosacea. They can be a gentler option than over the counter creams which can contain synthetic chemicals that may irritate skin.